Markdown is a simple markup language with plain text formatting and a lot less use of angle brackets than HTML or XML.
- Pandoc can be used to create HTML or nearly any other format you’d like out of markdown.
- It can be written easily in a text editor like vi or notepad.
- Unlike HTML, Markdown is well readable in the text editor.
- So for programmers, it feels very natural to write stuff in markdown. In fact, I’m writing this blog in markdown, using the JP Markdown plugin for WordPress.
- Here’s a link to a fine Markdown Cheatsheet, handling the Github-variation of Markdown.
- This complete post including links, italics, bold and unordered list does not contain a single angle bracket.