It is way more easy than you would think. I’ve done this with Firefox ESR 31.8.0.
- Run an installer of your Firefox branch on the new computer. In my case, I had an installer for Firefox ESR 24.8.1 laying around. I’ve installed this version on the new computer.
- Let FF do all the updates automatically. Soon you’ll have the current version on the new PC.
- Locate the FF profile folder on the old computer. For this, open menu-help-information for debugging-profile folder-show folder.
- The content of your profile folder will be shown in an explorer. The name of the folder will probably something cryptic like
- Locate the FF profile folder on the new computer.
- Close FF and empty the profile folder on the new computer.
- Copy the content of the profile folder on the old PC into the profile folder on the new computer.
- Done. This worked like a charm for me. All Firefox settings and bookmarks and all the addons with all their settings are used on the new computer now.
Time needed: Half an hour for finding the solution on the internet, 5 minutes for executing it. Next time I’ll be 30 minutes faster 🙂